Meeting the criteria
The criteria and evidence below will provide you with the information you need to meet the requirements of this visa.
Your partner’s immigration status
Your partner must be a New Zealand citizen or resident
Your partner’s place of residence
Partners who have New Zealand residence because they have an Australian passport, permanent residence or resident return visa, must live in New Zealand
Your partner’s support
Your partner must support your visa application
Your partner must complete a ‘Partnership Support Form for Residence’ as evidence of their support.
Your partner won’t be eligible to support your visa, or a later residence application, if they have:
- supported a successful residence application for more than one previous partner
- supported a successful residence application for a previous partner in the last 5 years
- included a previous partner in a successful residence application in the last 5 years
- have been included as a partner in a successful residence application in the last 5 years.
Your relationship with your partner
You and your partner must have been living together in a genuine and stable relationship for 12 months or more
You must provide evidence that you and your partner are living together in a genuine and stable relationship.
Your evidence should show:
- how long you’ve been together
- how long you’ve been living together
- you share finances and other responsibilities
- you spend time together, eg photos together, emails and social media conversations between you
- if you’re 16 or 17, that your parent or guardian supports your partnership
- anything else you think shows you and your partner are living together in a genuine and stable relationship.